Thursday, July 30, 2009

cupcake pops

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I was going to make some cupcake pops for my shower hostesses as a part of their thank you gifts.

1

Pictured Supplies:

  • Vanilla flavor Candy Melts
  • Milk chocolate Candy Melts
  • Sprinkles

Not Pictured:

  • Lollipop sticks
  • Boxed cake mix and canned frosting (choose your flavors)


Following Bakerella’s directions, I baked a Red Velvet cake and allowed it to cool. After that, I crumbled the cake and put about 3/4 of the can of frosting in there. I didn’t need the whole can for the cake (just a pointer there). So, add a little at a time until you get the correct consistency (basically to where it can form into shapes, not too sticky). Then, freeze the balls for about 10-20 minutes, so it can set. I did this in trays of a dozen, so they would remain set while I worked with them.

To put the chocolate in the mold, I used disposable decorating bags. You just have to put the chocolate in there and melt for about a minute in the microwave. NO MESS!

2

I then stuck a lollipop stick in the cake ball to help push it down into the mold as much as possible, forcing the chocolate up the sides of the mold.

3

I then let these set up in the fridge for a few minutes and then they popped out of the mold. I took the lollipop sticks out and kind of pinched the hole back together so there isn’t a big hole in the cupcake on top.

4

Using a small silicone bowl (to give the cupcakes something deep to dunk into without melting too much chocolate at once). To get the excess chocolate off, I tapped my wrist with my hand that wasn’t holding the cupcake. This is a great tip that I learned from Bakerella as well. (You can tell I read her blog, eh?) Then, I doused them in cute sprinkles and allowed them to set.

Here’s ALL of the finished cupcakes before I put the sticks back in.

5

A trick I learned while reading Bakerella’s comments from readers is to put the lollipop stick in melted milk chocolate and gently ease the stick into the bottom of the cupcake to avoid cracking the bottom. It works really well!

6

A tip? Don’t cry over a cracked cupcake. :)

There is something you can do…

7
NOM!

And, here’s the finished products! :) G-ma BF thought they were just for decoration. She flipped when she found out these were edible.

8

Have you gifted anything that you’ve baked in your wedding planning?